If you’re wondering what the Bible has to say about gossip and drama — there’s plenty to dive into. The Bible mentions gossip dozens of times because they dealt with it thousands of years ago just like we do today.
Gossip is poisonous and can infect friendships, teams, and even churches. I’ve personally witnessed this, but as much as we all like to say we don’t like it and don’t like those who take part in it, we’re all guilty of it from time to time.
This is why we need God’s Word. We need to understand what the Bible says about gossip. Whether you’re suffering at the hands of those who gossip, or you’re struggling with participating in it yourself, here are 10 key Bible verses about gossip and drama to keep in mind.
10 Bible Verses About Gossip & Drama
1. “A gossip betrays a confidence; so avoid anyone who talks too much.” Proverbs 20:19 NIV
2. “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” Ephesians 4:29 NIV
3. “Whoever goes about slandering reveals secrets, but he who is trustworthy in spirit keeps a thing covered.” Proverbs 11:13 ESV
4. “The words of a whisperer are like delicious morsels; they go down into the inner parts of the body.” Proverbs 26:22 NIV
5. “The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.” Proverbs 18:21 NIV
6. “Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from telling lies.” Psalm 34:13 NIV
7. “Do not spread false reports. Do not help a guilty person by being a malicious witness.” Exodus 23:1 NIV
8. “Teach the older men to be temperate, worthy of respect, self-controlled, and sound in faith, in love and in endurance. Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.” Titus 2:2-5
9. “The lips of fools bring them strife, and their mouths invite a beating. The mouths of fools are their undoing, and their lips are a snare to their very lives.” Proverbs 18:6-7
10. “Set a guard over my mouth, LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips.” Psalm 141:3
More Than Just Words
Just as Proverbs 18:21 says — the tongue has the power of life and death. Your words are more than just words. They set the direction for your life and can either build others up, or they can tear them down.
I want to encourage you today to build others up. This world we live in is hard enough as it is. The enemy would love to see us fighting each other and inviting gossip & drama into our homes, churches, and relationships.
It can be tempting, but you can resist it. You have the shield of faith and the sword of the Spirit. I pray that you use it today in whatever situation you’re facing or battle you’re fighting.